When attempting to use Print Shop 4.0 a message is displayed: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. This message is displayed when using various functions of the program such as saving or printing a project, moving items around in the project, adding graphic or importing photos. It can also be displayed when attempting to launch the program.
The resolution to this issue is may involve multiple steps and must be followed as laid out in this article.
If not followed as explained we cannot guarantee the issue will be resolved.
The first step to resolve the issue is to check that the latest version of Print Shop is installed to the computer.
To check the version of Print Shop 4.0 use the following steps:
1. Launch The Print Shop 4.0.
2. Close the Project Picker.
3. In the upper right corner click Help. Click Preferences.
4. Go to the About tab. You will see The Print Shop in large letters, under it you will see:
· The Print Shop (Deluxe or Professional) 4.0
· Version 4.#.#
The latest version is 4.0.1, if you do not have this version the update please update the program by following these steps:
Close the settings box by either clicking the OK, Cancel, or "X" at top right corner.
Click on the Template icon in the Create Project found on the left side of the screen.
With the "Select a New Project" window open, navigate to the right side and notice the many options, one including "An update is available."
Click the link to the update Print Shop and follow the directions to complete the process.
NOTE: If the program is no longer opening, the only option is to run the update from one of the following URL's depending on the version
of Print Shop installed (Deluxe or Professional).
For Deluxe users, use The Print Shop 4.0.1 Deluxe update link below:
For Professional users, use The Print Shop 4.0.1 Professional link below:
If Print Shop is already up to date, a message will be displayed that the latest version has been installed. When Print Shop is not up to the update will install. During the update it will state the old version needs to uninstalled do you wish to do allow the uninstall. Please choose to allow the uninstall. This will then allow the new version to be installed. This process will not remove any projects already created in the program.
Once the update is complete, try using the program to determine if the issue has been resolved. If it has not been resolved follow the second set of steps below.
*STOP: Have you completed all of the steps above? If the answer is no, please follow all the above steps until they are complete. Then continue with this second step process below.
The second step in this process is to remove the temp files from the Temp folder. Temp files are files added to the Temp folder as programs are used on the computer, these files can be removed without creating any issues with the computer.
Please use the following steps to delete temp files from the computer.
1. Navigate to Windows Explorer, typically found as the manila file folder on the menu bar (the list of open programs at the bottom of your screen), click to open.
2. Scroll through the list of options to This PC for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 or Computer for Windows Vista and 7, double click to expand.
3. Double click the hard drive C: (local disk).
4. Double click the User folder (i.e. j. smith) to open.
5. Double click the AppData folder to open.
Note: If you do not see the AppData folder, use the steps at below on how to show hidden files and folders.
6. Double click the Local folder to open.
7. Locate the Temp folder and double click to open.
8. Hold down the Ctrl key and hit the A key to select all of the temp files.
9. Click File and Delete.
Note: Not all of the temp files will be able to be deleted as they may be in use. Click skip when the alert dialog box appears stating the file cannot be deleted because it is in use.
To display hidden files and folders.
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Click Appearance and Personalization. Click Folder Options (Windows 10 File Explorer Options).
3. Click the View tab.
4. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click APPLY.